Rosemary Granita Recipe
A granita has larger ice crystals than a sorbet, and does not require an ice cream maker. This elegant recipe is spiked with sparkling wine, but it can be omitted for an alcohol-free version.
• 1 cup sugar
• 3 cups water
• 2 rosemary sprigs, about 4 inches long
• 2 teaspoons lavender buds, fresh or dried
• 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, chopped small
• ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
• 1 cup sparkling wine (optional)
1. Bring sugar and water to a boil in small saucepan. Drop in rosemary, lavender and ginger, then cover pan and remove from heat.
2. Steep for 15-2- minutes. Strain syrup into a stainless steel bowl.
3. Chill mixture. Stir in lemon juice and sparkling wine. Put the bowl in the freezer and stir every 30 minutes to 1 hour until slushy.
4. Freeze granita completely. When ready to serve, scrape granita with side of a large metal spoon to break up ice crystals.
Store any remaining granita in a covered container.
Serve in a small cup, glass or other unique container ~ It is a chance to use something fun! Garnish with sprigs of rosemary and lavender.